Monday, February 9, 2009

Busy Weekend Spicy Tomato Soup


Every weekend when it’s cold, I make soup. I’m not exactly sure why but I think it’s just because I love the smell of garlic and onion sautéing in the house! Plus, a soup’s flavor typically improves with time, meaning I can re-heat it later in the weekend to eat for a quick lunch or even dinner without that dreaded ‘left over’s’ taste.

This weekend got rather busy in my house because I signed up for a cake decorating class and I have about 5 cakes I have to make this month between TWD and my class (not to mention all the other goodies on my ‘to try’ list. And every time I turned around it seemed I need to start another meal which led to its clean up. So by Sunday afternoon, I decided its time for a short cut. Yes, even though I am no fan of pre-prepped goods, even I take ‘short cuts’.

I got this recipe of course from my idol in cooking, Giada, from the Food Network. Let me tell you, this spicy tomato soup is amazing, hearty, and deliciously spicy. I changed it up a bit and cut the recipe in half since it was just my husband and me.


Spicy Tomato Soup
Recipe derived from Giada Di Laurentiis

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 Parsnip, peeled and chopped
½ cup Spanish onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce (San Marzano brand, if you can’t find it just use a GOOD quality marinara)
2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth, homemade preferred
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup ditalini pasta (or any small pasta)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Garnish: Basil, plain yogurt, homemade croutons


Directions:

Heat a large heavy bottomed (non reactive) pot, add the olive oil. Add onion, carrots and parsnips. Sauté until soft, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds. Add the marinara, chicken broth, cannellini beans, red pepper flakes, pasta, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 15 minutes until pasta is soft. Serve with plain yogurt, basil and homemade croutons on top.

To make homemade croutons: Slice up day old bread into cubes, drizzle with olive oil, and put in a 350 degree oven until toasty. About 5-10 minutes.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Yum! I love tomato soup, especially when it has a "kick" to it. This looks fantastic, I'm going to have to make it soon! Good luck getting everything done!

Sweet as Coco said...

Jessica, if you like a kick, you will totally love this. Perfect for a singleton too. :) Thanks for the well wishes!!